Category: Ways we can help
If you no longer wish to remain in your home and have somewhere else to live, regardless of whether there are any mortgage arrears, you can choose to voluntarily surrender the property (often known as ‘handing the keys back’). You should think very carefully before going ahead with this option.
Important information about voluntary surrender:
- Ensure that you have somewhere else to live before handing back the keys.
- Voluntarily surrendering your property may affect your eligibility for housing support from your local authority.
- You should remove all your possessions and take final meter readings before handing back the keys.
- You should maintain appropriate buildings insurance until the property is sold.
- We’ll place the property on the market and attempt to obtain the best sale price.
- If the property sells for less than the outstanding mortgage balance, you’ll remain responsible for paying back any shortfall amount.