Category: Ways we can help
If you’re unable to meet all or part of your mortgage payment, we might be able to accept a lower or even no payment for a period of time.
Important information about making lower payments:
- Paying less than your monthly payment is normally agreed to cover a temporary change in your circumstances, like being out of work or undergoing medical treatment. It isn’t a long-term solution.
- At the end of the agreed lower payments, we will need to agree a payment arrangement to pay back any arrears.
- Paying less than your monthly payment may result in your account going into arrears.
- Arrears are reported to credit reference agencies and this may affect your ability to borrow money in future.
- If your mortgage is in arrears, you’ll be charged more interest. This is because your mortgage balance will be higher than expected. The additional interest will increase the amount you owe and may reduce the equity you have in your property.